[darcs-users] Need for a new option on "mv"

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Thu May 27 12:53:10 UTC 2004

    David> I've implemented the behavior-change suggestion.  mv now
    David> should happily deal with the case where you already renamed
    David> the file.

Great, thanx! It's time to learn the darcs compile-chain :)

    David> If you're concerned about the cyclical rename situation, I
    David> could add an --already-done flag, but I'd prefer to keep
    David> the number of flags to a minimum wherever possible.

Great again :-))

    David> In
    David> case I wasn't clear, the cyclical rename situation is
    David> something like:

    David> darcs mv a tmp darcs mv b a darcs mv tmp b

No, this does not scares me because a) it's not as usual, as you said
and b) I doubt (but I will check :) that it's actually possible [with
current] svn client to that in a single run: I mean, you surely can do
that remotely, operating directly on the svn server something like

  $ svn copy -m "a-b switch" http://my.repos.url/a http://my.repos.url/tmp
  $ svn copy -m "a-b switch" http://my.repos.url/b http://my.repos.url/a
  $ svn copy -m "a-b switch" http://my.repos.url/tmp http://my.repos.url/b

but that means that svn will register three different revisions, and
this make it easy to track... the trick :)

thanks again,
bye, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.