[darcs-users] Re: request for clear docs for 'push' and conflicts

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 1 10:31:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 08:34:11PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2004-10-30, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure that that is always the case.  A public repo might still be
> > one in which you actually make changes directly, in which case you'd want
> > changes to be marked there.  I vaguely imagine three sorts of repos:
> >
> > public: unpull etc not allowed, pull not allowed, --no-resolve-conflicts
> > working: unpull etc not allowed
> > private: unpull etc ARE allowed
> >
> > But I'm not entirely sure.  I have a vague feeling that I'm missing
> > something...
>
> Why would 'pulling' by dis-allowed for a public repo? That's how I
> update from the darcs repo. :)

I meant pulling *into* the darcs repo.

> > Right.  Darcs internally doesn't apply any of the changes caused by
> > conflicting (primitive) patches, but knows that there is a conflict.  When
> > you pull a patch that has a conflict, either with your local patches or
> > local changes, or with another patch in the repo from which you are
> > pulling, darcs marks the conflicts for you.  Darcs resolve does the same
> > thing.
> >
> > does is *mark* conflicts in the working directory.  :(
>
> That seems like an important semantic difference. It seems like it could
> be worth updating these names, and deprecating but supporting the old
> ones.
>
> Should the descriptions be updated at any rate? Currently the wording
> is:
>
>  "try to resolve conflicts"
>
> Is the word "try" appropriate here? If darcs knows there is a conflict,
> in what case would it /not/ be able to mark it? File and directory adds
> and deletions come to mind, but those are marked in "--summary". Is this
> more accurate?:
>
>  "mark conflicts"

Well, darcs doesn't doesn't know how to "mark" conflicts that are not
simple hunk patches, so mark conflicts really only applies to hunk
conflicts.  For any other conflicts, it just chooses one of the conflicting
options.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org