[darcs-users] Patches are immutable

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Tue Nov 2 22:31:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 08:18:17PM +0100, Marnix Klooster wrote:
> Why should rerecord (and unrecord and unpull) not be used for a patch that
> has already been pulled?  If I understand correctly, this is to prevent
> conflicts and confusion.

Replacing a patch is a change that can't be undone, it
leaves no trace in history, and logs no explanation of why
it was made.

> BTW, If the source repo has, e.g., a tag T which depends on patch A,
> 'rerecord' could offer to automatically rerecord T as well-- that solves
> another issue that I think somebody brought up in this discussion.

I don't think so.  It "solves" the problem by redefining
the meaning of a tag.  If I tag 'strange bug' it is because
I want to be able to retrieve EXACTLY that version.  I very
much do not want new patches to change 'strange bug'.