[darcs-users] Patches are immutable

Dustin Sallings dustin at spy.net
Tue Nov 2 23:41:54 UTC 2004

On Nov 2, 2004, at 14:31, Tommy Pettersson wrote:

> I don't think so.  It "solves" the problem by redefining
> the meaning of a tag.  If I tag 'strange bug' it is because
> I want to be able to retrieve EXACTLY that version.  I very
> much do not want new patches to change 'strange bug'.

	I have been watching this thread trying to find a reason to like
mutable patches, and I don't seem to have been getting a lot of
persuasion towards them.

	I use a revision control system to remember the state of my project.
Anything that prevents me from going back in time is breaking the
functionality for me.

	Now, patch consolidation is a separate issue.  In arch, you can start
clean (OK, sort of) while retaining history.  Similarly, you can pull
in a set of patches as a unit while remembering the details of those
patches, but without polluting your patch space.  This type of
functionality might be more useful... i.e. being able to separate
patches received versus patches created.  If it took me fifty different
changesets to get a piece of functionality right, keeping them all in
one development branch tree, but pulling them all in as a single patch
(with a lot of details) in a another ``public'' tree would be very
nice.

--
Dustin Sallings