[darcs-users] Re: Line endings opinion poll (with bonus option)

Björn Lindström bkhl at elektrubadur.se
Wed Nov 3 08:34:59 UTC 2004

Martin Schaffner <schaffner at gmx.li> writes:

> How about a single --using-dos-line-endings option for all relevant
> commands, that is disabled by default, can be added to
> _darcs/prefs/defaults, and does:
>
> * Turn '\n' into '\r\n' when adding lines from patches into working
> * Turn '\r\n' into '\n' when creating patches from working

That sounds like the ideal solution to me. No hassle to us Un*x folks,
all the functionality you really need on Windows, and no need to meddle
with the format of _darcs in any way.

It might become necessary to add support for the one or two other line
ending styles out there, but I suggest to wait until anyone asks for it.

Still, it may be a good idea to make the options take arguments, like:

--line-endings=dos
--line-endings=unix

&c.

That would also serve the purpose of the suggested, slightly clunky,
--not-using-dos-line-endings option.