[darcs-users] "darcs dist" on windows

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Nov 3 11:55:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:03:44PM +0100, Daan Leijen wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello!

> I just started using darcs on a windows system. However,
> when I try to do "darcs dist" it fails with:
>
> ~/dev/morrowF$ darcs dist -v
> tar: Cannot execute remote shell: No such file or directory
> tar: c\:/daan/dev/morrowF/darcs-19466: Cannot open: I/O erro
> Created dist as morrowF.tar.gz
>
> Anyone knows what I should do about this?  Maybe darcs could
> use "zip" instead of "tar" and "gzip" ?

Hmmm.  I definitely prefer tar, and darcs dist really doesn't seem like an
important enough command to be worth making work in the absence of a
functioning tar and gzip.  It actually looks like maybe tar is just getting
confused simply because of the whole backslash/forward slash issue, and the
fact that darcs uses forward slashes.  Although why tar would be trying to
excecute a remote shell is a mystery to me.

> ps. There is also a kind of bug with darcs and the current
> directory. When I added files recursively with darcs, it
> started complaining about "duplicate files" where it took
> files with the name "./bla" as equal to "bla" . Here is an
> example:
>
> A file or directory named compiler/Kind/./Operations.hs is already in
> the repository!
> Note that to ensure portability we don't allow files that differonly in
> case.

Can you give an example reproduces this?

> Of course, there were hundreds of messages like this, so it is rather
> frightening to see it happening :-)  Moreover, I haven't discovered yet
> how I can see which files are in the repository (ie. are recorded)?
> So, I don't really know if my "add" has succeeded or not.

If you haven't recorded, darcs whatsnew --summary will show you which files
have been added.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org