[darcs-users] "darcs dist" on windows

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Wed Nov 3 12:08:38 UTC 2004

David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> writes:

>> ~/dev/morrowF$ darcs dist -v
>> tar: Cannot execute remote shell: No such file or directory
>> tar: c\:/daan/dev/morrowF/darcs-19466: Cannot open: I/O erro
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> Created dist as morrowF.tar.gz

> It actually looks like maybe tar is just getting
> confused simply because of the whole backslash/forward slash issue, and the
> fact that darcs uses forward slashes.  Although why tar would be trying to
> excecute a remote shell is a mystery to me.

My guess would be the : in the path name being interpreted as
host:directory (ssh/rsh style).  Tar has the option of using a remote
shell to access remote files and devices.  (Similarly, an @ in a file
name will easily confuse tar on Unix as well)  I would consider this a
bug (a.k.a. misfeature) in tar.

-kzm