[darcs-users] "darcs dist" on windows

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 4 11:29:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 01:10:50PM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:

> One more thing, there is an option to tar, documented as:
>
> `--force-local'
>      Forces `tar' to interpret the filename given to `--file' as a local
>      file, even if it looks like a remote tape drive name.
>
> Perhaps you can pass this by default on Windows as a workaround?  (I
> don't have Windows, so I can't test it.)

This does look like a good solution.  We could even do this dynamically by
always passing --force-local if the filename has a colon in it, since I
imagine this can happen on unix, too.  Unix people would have to be pretty
crazy to put a colon in their filenames, but I don't imagine there's a
shortage of crazy unix people... :)

I'd like to have a verification that this workaround works, though before
coding it in.  Can someone with windows test this bug and code up a work
around using --force-local?

I don't think --force-local should *always* be used, since it sounds like a
gnu extension.  But I think colons are rare enough and gnu tar is common
enough that we probably needn't worry about the case of people with colons
in their files and whose tar doesn't accept --force-local.
http://www.abridgegame.org