[darcs-users] Limits of Darcs (the whole Linux kernel?)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Nov 5 10:20:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:16:06AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> I always test revision control systems with the whole Linux kernel
> because it is a good test: if something survives the Linux kernel, it
> can stands anything.
>
> Darcs fails:
>
> myriam:~/tmp/repository % time darcs record --all
> What is the patch name? All Linux
> Do you want to add a long comment? [yn] n
> zsh: killed     darcs record --all
> darcs record --all  731.93s user 58.05s system 25% cpu 52:00.48 total
> myriam:~/tmp/repository %
>
> And then the repository is locked, "darcs pull" keeps saying "Waiting
> for lock /home/bortzmeyer/tmp/repository/_darcs/lock". Obviously,
> Darcs crashed badly. What can I do?

You could either make more memory available for darcs, or compile darcs
with the --enable-antimemoize option.  The initial record is the command
which most stresses darcs' memory, as it requires holding the entire tree
in parsed and in memory.

The linux kernel probably requires close to a gigabyte of memory.  I'm not
sure how much it will take with --enable-antimemoize.
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org