[darcs-users] docs for --enable-antimemoize (was :Re: Limits of Darcs (the whole Linux kernel?) )

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 6 13:15:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 12:49:40PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2004-11-05, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> >
> > You could either make more memory available for darcs, or compile darcs
> > with the --enable-antimemoize option.  The initial record is the command
> > which most stresses darcs' memory, as it requires holding the entire tree
> > in parsed and in memory.
>
> Are there more docs for --enable-antimemoize? Drawbacks? Trade-offs?

No, no docs for it.  I've been meaning to write up a little paper on the
method, but that'll be more aimed at haskellers than at darcs users.

> Worth discussing making it the default? :)

If it had more testing, perhaps it could be the default, but it almost
always slows darcs down (except, of course, when swap is hit), and so until
it has proven large memory benefits, it'll have to remain optional.

There is a trick that may make it possible to often have antimemoization
cost nothing in cpu time, but I'm not sure whether it'll work (or help).
--
David Roundy
http://www.abridgegame.org