[darcs-users] Escaping of hunks and file names

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 23:37:39 UTC 2004

Hi David,

> Oddly enough, it seems that perl does the same thing.  I don't know
> what the haskell standard library "isTerminal" function checks, but
> apparently when these languages call external programs, they somehow
> are able to trick haskell into thinking it's in a terminal.  :(

Could you explain a little further?  Typically, most things, including
darcs(1) call isatty(3).

> The problem here is that often one will run
>
> darcs add *
>
> trusting darcs to add only the relevant files.

Only if one's a <Steve Wright>muppet</Steve Wright>.  Sorry, but that's
a poor UI.  One that allows errors to go unreported.  Adding a file
already added is an error.  Adding a file that doesn't exist is an
error.  Both should appear on stderr and result in $? being non-zero.
IMHO  ;-)  Humans appreciate it.  Other programs appreciate it.

Cheers,

Ralph.