[darcs-users] Re: Executing a program when applying patches

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 8 09:34:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:27:03AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2004-11-07, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> >
> > * the test file is apparently executed in a fresh repository
> > (/tmp/testing), which implies a complete "darcs get" of the files. I
> > understand the rationale (being sure you run the test with the files
> > actually recorded), but it can be really long when the repository is
> > large.
>
> I think this option for 'apply' could help in this case:
>
>        --leave-test-directory  don't remove the test directory

No, this option doesn't allow you to reuse the test directory, it just
leaves it there so you can examine it afterwards.  This can be useful if
you want to see what happened when a test failed.

For large projects, the time spent copying the files I would expect to be
insignificant when compared with the time spend running the test.  I
suppose there could be quick tests, but most commonly one will want to
compile all the many many files in the large repository, which will take
much longer than just copying them does.
http://www.darcs.net