[darcs-users] return code for 'add' and stderr (was: Re: Escaping of hunks and file names)

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 8 10:58:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 10:02:51AM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> > I confirmed these complaints:
> >
> > - 'add' appears to send it's errors to STDOUT, not STDERR
> > - 'add' appears to return true, even when there's an error:
> >
> > $ ../darcs/darcs add missing  && echo 'true';
> >
> > Ralph, would you be interested in helping to improve this?  You could
> > add or update a test in the 'tests/' directory of the distribution to
> > illustrate these two points. The tests are written in shell or Perl
>
> I'll try and find time today.  But I assume that only tests that pass
> are welcome, e.g. tests for bugs fixed, and that otherwise writes to
> http://abridgegame.org/repos/darcs will have problems if not all tests
> pass.
>
> Or is the running of tests only advisory and their failure doesn't block
> the update?

Non-passing tests are welcome, especially when sent to bugs at darcs.net (you
can do this with send --to, I believe).  They can't be included in the repo
until they pass, but it's much more satisfying (and sometimes easier) to
fix a bug if there's already a test for it.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net