[darcs-users] Re: Executing a program when applying patches

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Nov 9 01:50:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 04:34:54AM -0500,
 David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> For large projects, the time spent copying the files I would expect
> to be insignificant when compared with the time spend running the
> test.  I suppose there could be quick tests, but most commonly one
> will want to compile all the many many files in the large
> repository, which will take much longer than just copying them does.

Much more operations are possible in a CVS "commitinfo" besides
compiling everything and running the regression test suite. Checking
the well-formedness or the validity of XML files, checking the syntax
of Perl scripts with -c, running C programs through indent to be sure
they were properly indented, etc.

These operations are typically much lighter.