[darcs-users] File/Directory Metadata

Michael Conrad conradme at email.uc.edu
Thu Nov 11 07:35:49 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, November 10, 2004 7:55 PM, Quag wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:38:09 -0500, Michael Conrad
> <silverdirk at conserv.silverdirk.com> wrote:
> > In a patch, the flags might look like:
> >
> > | addfile ./foo
> > |
> > | hunk ./foo 1
> > | + blah
> > | + blah
> > | }
> > |
> > | setmeta ./foo lines=logical watchunixperm=y
> > |

> All darcs patches must be reversable without any information other
> than the patch itself. The setmeta would need to have old and new
> versions of all of the meta data set.
Good point- I forgot about that.

> setmeta ./foo
> -lines=default watchunixperm=""
> +lines=logical watchunixperm=y

Well, in the spirit of hunk descriptions, how about
  metadata ./foo
  -lines=default
  +lines=logical
  +watchunixperm=y
  }
with each on its own line.  And if it wasn't defined before, then it doesn't
need a minus-line. (and if it gets undefined, it doesn't need a plus-line.)

Another thing I forgot to address was how to store this- while it would be
nice if it went into _darcs/current somewhere, (
"_darcs/current/foo.darcs_meta" ?) it seems like filename conflicts might
arise, so maybe it should go into a parallel tree?  ( "_darcs/metadata/foo"
?)

-Mike