[darcs-users] Help! How to re-synchronize darcs world and svn world.

zooko at zooko.com zooko at zooko.com
Fri Nov 12 13:59:45 UTC 2004

I've been using Lele Gaifax's tailor script [1] to synchronize Shtoom's [2] SVN
repository [3] with my darcs repositories [4].

I started by running tailor's bootstrap operation some weeks ago, and since
then I've often run tailor's update operation to read in the latest changes in
Shtoom's SVN repo and create equivalent darcs patches, which I then pulled into
various darcs repos.

Now unfortunately I accidentally blew away the original tailor directory during
some frantic late-night hacking.  I still have darcs repos that contain all of
the patches that tailor originally pulled out of svn world for me e.g. [5], but
if I run tailor bootstrap again and create a new darcs repository that mirrors
the svn history, darcs will not "converge" adds in that repository with adds in
my current darcs repos, so I cannot use darcs to merge newly tailorized svn
patches with my current darcs repo.

For immediate help: suggest to me a good hack to get automated svn<->darcs
synchronization working again despite having deleted tailor's metadata.

For discussion: wouldn't it be nice if darcs would converge adds of identical
files from separate histories?  If I add file A in darcs repo 1, and Anthony
Baxter adds a copy of file A in darcs repo 2, and then each of us make a bunch
of changes to our respective copies of file A, and then one of us tries to pull
all changes from the other's repo, it would be really nice if darcs would just
Do The Right Thing.

I know that to do that would require deep changes to darcs model of the world,
but I also know that it isn't impossible, since monotone already does it.

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/ConvertingFromSubversion
[2] http://shtoom.divmod.org/