[darcs-users] multiple reverts?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 13 13:39:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 06:17:54PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hello
>
> in arch I find the possibility of having multiple undos saved and redoable
> later useful.
> The equivalent darcs revert can only happen once. I admit it smells like
> bad habit to make such changes then change ones mind but it happens to me
> at least.Quick hacks which do not qualify for commit/record but are
> valuable enough not to trash and work on later.
> Would others find such a feature useful? darcs revert would put them in
> files named unrevert[0-9]* and unrevert would put back the latest or ask.

I think this would be a bit of a pain, since every operation that removes a
patch has to make sure the context for your unrevert is still valid,
otherwise unrevert becomes impossible (as the warning message announces).

I'd recommend (although I'm not clear on your usage pattern) using record
even for lightweight things that you don't want to make public.  Really,
darcs works best with "real" named patches.  The revert/unrevert feature,
while nice, is a bit of a hack.

> Unrelated: could the default boring ,,.* become ,.* ? Arch treats
> everything starting with a comma as junk, it only happens to generate files
> which start with two commas.And I got used to making tmp files starting
> with one , and AFAIK there's no other program which makes commastarting
> filenames.

Sounds good to me.
--
David Roundy