[darcs-users] Re: File/Directory Metadata

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Nov 14 01:41:57 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-13, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 08:38:09PM -0500, Michael Conrad wrote:
>> I've been giving some thought to the whole discussion generated about the
>> line endings, and got thinking that maybe what darcs needs next is some
>> name=value type metadata associated with each file.
>>
>> This would solve a number of things:
>>
>> * for the line endings issue, tags like "lines=logical" or "lines=linux"
>>   could be added on a per-file basis.
>>
>> * for permissions, tags like "unixperm=rwxr-xr-x" could solve the issues
>>   with preserving permissions, and maybe another one like "watchunixperm"
>>   that would cause darcs to auto-record changes to the permissions.
>>
>> * for character encoding, tags could be "charset=UTF-8", etc.
>> Ideas? Comments?
>
> Not necesarily a bad idea, but opens up a number of cans of worms.  Any
> "meta" value that causes darcs to do something (which I guess is all but
> the charset one, in your examples) will need to have very well-defined
> behavior (and unchangeable--we can't fix bugs in it).

I agree with David here. The three examples above all seem useful,
although they are never features I've sought after with darcs.
I agree that tracking the executable status of a file would be nice.
I will be using darcs to manage website code where I want the CGI
scripts to have specific permissions.

However, if the executable bit gets lost with darcs, I can start using
a standard script that fixes them.

> In short, I don't think we really need arbitrary file metadata.

What about a little more specific meta data, like tracking the
executable bits on a file? :) Even that may be tracking as the
Windows and Unix may not agree what that means.

For another perspective, I don't think CVS does very well here, either.
If I recall, it just keeps the permissions of the file when you add it.
If it gets added wrong, you have to change in the repo. (Again, that's
from memory. :)

As a user, I'm more concerned about other things at the moment, like
improving performance for the 'spinning' cases.

    Mark