[darcs-users] moving patches (was: Re: multiple reverts?)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Nov 14 01:56:42 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-13, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 06:17:54PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> in arch I find the possibility of having multiple undos saved and redoable
>> later useful.
>> The equivalent darcs revert can only happen once. I admit it smells like
>> bad habit to make such changes then change ones mind but it happens to me
>> at least.Quick hacks which do not qualify for commit/record but are
>> valuable enough not to trash and work on later.
>> Would others find such a feature useful? darcs revert would put them in
>> files named unrevert[0-9]* and unrevert would put back the latest or ask.
>
> I think this would be a bit of a pain, since every operation that removes a
> patch has to make sure the context for your unrevert is still valid,
> otherwise unrevert becomes impossible (as the warning message announces).
>
> I'd recommend (although I'm not clear on your usage pattern) using record
> even for lightweight things that you don't want to make public.  Really,
> darcs works best with "real" named patches.  The revert/unrevert feature,
> while nice, is a bit of a hack.

I had another idea to address the same kind of situation. I would like
the ability to 'move' (rather than copy) some patches to another repo.

If a 'move patch' command was supported, than a user could have a scratch
repo that patches could be moved and moved back.

Note that I think this command would be confusing and probably dangerous
in  any another context. :)

Let me tell you my own 'use case', and perhaps someone else will have
other suggestions to address it.

I have about a dozen patches now that I've submitted to darcs that don't
look they will be accepted, or at least not soon. Several I have skip
through when using 'darcs send', and one causes a test file (because the
feature I requested isn't implemented yet. :).

I don't want to trash these patches quite yet, but I don't want to have
them in my working repo right now either. Moving them to a 'scratch
repo' seems like a good idea.

I imagine this could be scripted with the current darcs by doing a push,
followed by an unrecord of those patches.

Other ideas for addressing this case?

    Mark