[darcs-users] Re: Darcs log messages

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Nov 16 12:07:40 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 04:33:57PM +0300, vladimirtest wrote:
> David, hello!

Hello.  I'm including the darcs-users mailing list in the response, since I
don't use any non-ASCII characters, so someone else may be better able to
answer your questions.

> I'm achivarious of faculty mathermatics & cybernetics (Tomsk State
> University, Western Syberia, Russia). Currently we use Subversion, but
> it's interesting to try Darcs. Right now some stuff/students use it, but
> there is a few flaws:
>
> 1) Some machines have have koi8-r(FreeBSD/Linux machines),
> cp1251(Windows), utf-8(RedHat FedoraCore 3) codepages/locales.
>
> Seems Darcs log messages are just 8bit format. Subversion keep the logs
> in utf-8 format.
>
> So from any machine log messages looks like need - in russian. But within
> Dracs logs recorded in koi8-r and pulled from machinve with different
> codepage are damaged :-)
>
> So, is there workaround? If not, can you modify Darcs system to work like
> subversion?

Darcs doesn't have any code to find out what the current encoding is.  This
probably isn't too hard to implement, but should definitely be implemented
by someone who actually uses non-ASCII characters (which means, not me).
Alas, the haskell standard libraries don't have any support for dealing
with encodings, so it might be a bit of a pain.

A partial solution would be to always record with --edit-long-comment, and
configure your text editor to produce a standard encoding.  Of course, then
you'd still have issues when browsing changes, or even pulling
interactively.

> 2) dracs whatsnew show hex values instead of russian chars. Example:
> $ darcs whatsnew
> {
> hunk ./Makefile 7
> +       \d0\d2\cf
>         ^^^ there should be three russian chars
>
> Please, feedback me what do you think about it?

I think this may be fixed by defining the environment variable
"DARCS_USE_ISPRINT".  Of course, if the Makefile is in some encoding that
isn't the default on your computer, you'll get garbage...
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net