[darcs-users] compiling on windows

Daan Leijen daan at cs.uu.nl
Tue Nov 16 15:27:40 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience of building darcs
on windows. First, I followed the instructions from
the darcs manual. However, there were still some
adjustments necessary. I think that all of these
should be handled by ./configure.

 > autoconf
 > ./configure --disable-mmap --target=mingw --prefix=/usr/local/darcs

After this I need to edit "autoconf.mk":

1) The LDFLAGS variable contains "-lssl" and "-lcrypto" -- both
libraries are not available on windows, even after installing openSSL.
Also "-lcurses" is not there too, but somehow, automake thinks it does.
I guess because it can find "term.h" -- but this is only available
when compiling for the "cygwin" target. Furthermore, there
is a module that needs "timeGetTime" which is exported from libwinmm,
but this library is not included. Therefore, we change the LDFLAGS from:

LDFLAGS := -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lcurses -lz

to:

LDFLAGS		:=  -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lz -lwinmm

2) Again, automake thinks we have libcurses but we don't. So we change
the value of HAVE_CURSES to False.

HAVE_CURSES     := False

3) I like to change the version number too, or otherwise I think I am
building version 1.0.0:

DARCS_VERSION	:= 1.0.0.1

and, tada:

 > make

and darcs builds fine now. Unfortunately, I do not know how to
write "autoconf" scripts, so I can not supply patches that solve these
problems in general.

All the best,
  Daan.