[darcs-users] compiling on windows

Will will at glozer.net
Tue Nov 16 18:13:44 UTC 2004

Daan Leijen <daan at cs.uu.nl> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to share my experience of building darcs
> on windows. First, I followed the instructions from
> the darcs manual. However, there were still some
> adjustments necessary. I think that all of these
> should be handled by ./configure.

Are you using msys and mingw, or cygwin, to compile darcs?  The instructions
should work as-is for the former.

>  > autoconf
>  > ./configure --disable-mmap --target=mingw --prefix=/usr/local/darcs
>
> After this I need to edit "autoconf.mk":
>
> 1) The LDFLAGS variable contains "-lssl" and "-lcrypto" -- both
>    libraries are not available on windows, even after installing
>    openSSL.
> Also "-lcurses" is not there too, but somehow, automake thinks it does.
> I guess because it can find "term.h" -- but this is only available
> when compiling for the "cygwin" target. Furthermore, there
> is a module that needs "timeGetTime" which is exported from libwinmm,
> but this library is not included. Therefore, we change the LDFLAGS from:
>
> LDFLAGS := -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lz -lssl -lcrypto -lssl -lcrypto -lcurses -lz
>
> to:
>
> LDFLAGS		:=  -L/usr/lib -lcurl -lz -lwinmm

All of the LDFLAGS related to libcurl are retrieved from the curl-config
script.  If you have a curl-config from libcurl linked with openssl then
it will expect those libraries.

Are you perhaps using a cygwin libcurl?  The native mingw version does
indeed include libwinmm in `curl-config --libs`.

> 2) Again, automake thinks we have libcurses but we don't. So we change
> the value of HAVE_CURSES to False.
>
> HAVE_CURSES     := False

It sounds like configure is indeed finding libcurses, you could try
configuring '--without-curses'.

Regards,
Will