[darcs-users] Patches are immutable

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Nov 17 16:27:00 UTC 2004

> History is superfluous,

Interesting opinion.

What do you do when you receive a bug report that says ``I'm getting a
coredump with hello-world current of 13 October 2004.  Here's a stack
dump.''?  (Of course, the lines in the stack dump make no sense with
your current version of the code.)

What do you do when a user submits a very interesting patch, but it
doesn't apply cleanly to your current version?

What do you do when you trace down a difficult-to-reproduce bug that
you introduced at some point during last summer, and need to know
whether the version of your software included in Debian needs the fix
urgently, or whether you can hold off until you have time to do a
proper release?

What do you do when (real example I was involved in) the vice-CTO of
ACME Inc. makes claims that ``Free Software only recently integrated
that kind of functionality, more than n months after ACME Inc.'' ?

                                        Juliusz