[darcs-users] Darcs soon in Lunar Linux!

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Thu Nov 18 10:40:02 UTC 2004

> Zooko O'Whielacronx (zooko at zooko.com) wrote:
>> I'm still waiting for a Linux distribution that uses darcs to
>> distribute and configure the software.  "Dear package manager program:
>> please pull all patches that were marked 'bugfix' by the maintainer
>> and
>> which do not require any non-"bugfix" patch that was recorded after
>> 2004-02-01.  Let me know when you're done rebuilding my system.  Thank
>> you."
>
> It's not that I admire darcs, but what do you miss in e.g. using
> Gentoo with
> stable arch keyword? (I'm using it with deltup which makes binary
> diffs - to
> save on bandwidth :-)

The thing I am interested in is getting to pick and choose from all
patches published by the developers, rather than getting to choose from
among a small number of releases made by the developers.

In this fantasy, if developers would identify each patch as to whether
it is a "bugfix", a "securityfix" or a normal patch, then I could
choose the feature set that I required, plus all applicable bugfixes
and securityfixes.

Maybe the darcs mirror of the Linux kernel will evolve into something
like that, but currently I'm waiting until the timestamp screwup is
fixed before I build and run a kernel from that repo!

Regards,

Zooko