[darcs-users] Unexpected wait return code

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Fri Nov 19 13:56:35 UTC 2004

> >> PS I use a dual CPU machine and I'm curious if Darcs can take
> >> advantage of this setup?

> I have a Linux SMP box, and I recently monitored the CPU usage while
> doing some Darcs stress testing. From the output I can tell you that
> Darcs definitely only ever uses one processor

While I haven't done any serious profiling of cache behaviour with
darcs, I don't think that CPU is what is limiting; the code looks to
me like it's more memory bandwidth hungry.  Hence, I don't think that
a naive parallelisation of darcs will buy you much on a traditional
SMP machine.

(Note by the way that MP Opterons are not strictly SMP, they're more
like NUMA, and darcs might or might not be worth parallelising on such
machines.)

                                        Juliusz