FSH reuses the same ssh connection was, Re: [darcs-users] darcs pull asks me for my password at least twelve times

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat Nov 20 00:38:31 UTC 2004

shae:
> "Issac Trotts" <ijtrotts at ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> > On my computer at home, I typed
> >
> >     darcs pull -a ijtrotts at mallorn.ucdavis.edu:cnx-win
> >
> > It then asked me for my password several times and I got bored of typing
> > in my password before it stopped asking (assuming it was going to stop
> > at some point.)  I would like to know how to make it ask me for my
> > password only once.
>
> There's also fsh - http://www.lysator.liu.se/fsh/
> FSH reuses the same ssh connection rather than setting up a new connection for
> each call. I think the default lifetime of an FSH connection is fifteen hours
> or something.

ssh 3.8.1 and later include a connection sharing capability that
performs much the same as fsh. You connect (and authenticate) once with
-M as a master channel, and later ssh invocations can reuse the
authenticated line. Dramatically speeds up connection times. I use this
for darcs push, for example.

See the ControlMaster section in ssh_config(5).

-- Don