[darcs-users] pull performance issues with a lot of conflicts.

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Sat Nov 20 12:01:41 UTC 2004

Hello,

I've been hit by darcs performance issues recently while performing pull
from parent repository where I expect a lot of conflicts in one file. The
problematic darcs patch is 1379 lines long, 7720 bytes gziped and I'm
pulling it into the repo with 23 small patches. This patch contains
patches to only two files: configure.in and configure. The problem is
probably with configure, where I usually get conflicts, but those are not
important since whole file is easily regenerated by autoconf. I don't know
what exactly darcs is doing now, I have invoked it with:

time darcs pull -a /home/karel/arch/devel/mico-devel-darcs-repository

and it is still working with the only output of:

Pulling from /home/karel/arch/devel/mico-devel-darcs-repository...

it is already running for 108 minutes of CPU consumed time at the constant
memory usage of 28MB, machine is 1GHz PIII with 512MB, so there is no
trashing at all. I'm afraid this is some kind of wrong algorithm usage,
but I don't have enough information for debugging this issue. If anybody
here is interested, I can provide you with both parent and current
repositories so you can duplicate the issue on your box too.

Anyway, is there any workaround how to pull just part of the patch and
apply to only subset of file set? i.e how to pull patch and apply it only
to configure.in and throw away all changes to configure?

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com