[darcs-users] A proposal: patch incoherence

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Sun Nov 21 04:04:09 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 09:52:13AM +0100, Marnix Klooster wrote:
> Andrew Pimlott wrote Saturday, November 20, 2004 00:56:
> > In one sense, it cannot be symmetric, because only one patch knows that
> > it is incoherent with the other.  This is good, because normally, you
> > want the newer patch.  I would simplify most of the usage by saying that
> > darcs always takes the newer patch unless you override.  Can you think
> > of a common reason for wanting the old patch?
>
> Logic tells us that
> So incoherence is symmetric.

Of course, incoherence is symmetric as a boolean relation of two
patches.  The point is that, operationally, it is exactly one of the
patches that has "decided" to be incoherent with the other.  So in the
user interface, I am saying you should always prefer that newer patch,
absent an explicit override.  And when you try to pull the older patch,
without the override, it should get skipped perhaps with a warning.

Andrew