[darcs-users] darcs gaining complexiity (was: Re: Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Nov 21 21:43:01 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-21, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
>> I worry that darcs (which I think is perhaps the simplest and most
>> straightforward RCS to use) is quickly gaining complexity.

I would say that darcs is quickly gaining popularity. Along with this
comes some "stress tests". It's weaker points are coming to light and
being addressed.

I think what's important at this point is that David is somewhat
conservative and thoughtful about the direction of darcs. He cares that
that the single letter option flags are consistent, for example.

He also wasn't afraid to 'simplify' reportbug out of the program when it
didn't work well.

For darcs to go to the 'next level', it needs to gain a little
complexity. What's important is that the complexity added is there to
address critical issues that need addressing, and not bolted-on exotic
features. I think David will manage these decisions well.

It's also the case that the documentation (both the manual and the wiki)
have both been seen a number of improvements lately to help keep the
software comprehensible and usable as it grows.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/