[darcs-users] benefits of automatic patch attribution (was: Re: Colin Walters...)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Nov 21 21:48:23 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-21, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> right patch identity -- they later pull from my repo and darcs does
> the right thing.  (There's also a psychological benefit: the patch
> gets automatically attributed to them by |darcs changes|, which is
> important for Free Software projects that rely on the contributors'
> good will to go forward.)

I think automatic patch attribution work is an important and somewhat
unique point that should be promoted more. This was one of the positive
first impressions I had about darcs. It's also one of the parts of being
distributed that I think darcs gets right.

Compare it to how to CVS works: If I don't have commit access and want
to contribute, I can send a patch by mail and hope I'll receive credit.

With darcs, recieving credit is built-in, and would take a some effort
to remove.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/