[darcs-users] Re: benefits of automatic patch attribution (was: Re: Colin Walters...)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Nov 22 01:32:07 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-21, Samuel Tardieu <sam at rfc1149.net> wrote:

><aol>seconded</aol>
>
> When PicForth (http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth) was developed
> using GNU Arch, I received no GNU Arch merge requests. Since I
> switched its RCS to darcs a few days ago, I already received one patch
> by a contributor who was not using darcs before.

The <aol> tag is a new one for me.

It's interesting how technologies can shape culture. I have another
story like yours.

I run http://www.skatepark.org/ . A long time ago, it was a static site,
and I got few contributions. Now it is database-driven and I have a link
to a "suggest an entry" form on most pages. Almost immediately after I
added this feature, I started receiving a new suggestion every few days,
that pattern has continued for years.

Before, people could have always submitted suggestions by e-mail. I
think there is something about the form that makes people more likely
to contribute.

Consider adding your project to the list on the wiki:
http://www.scannedinavian.org/DarcsWiki/ProjectsUsingDarcs

That might increase your contributions even further. :)

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/