[darcs-users] Re: A proposal: patch incoherence

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Nov 22 01:40:52 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-20, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to amend-record a given patch dozens
> of times without leaving snail trails in the history so that everyone in
> the world knows what a klutz I am.

For me, having the world avoid noticing I'm a klutz is not an important
case to optimize for. Sooner or later, the truth will get out. :) Or
perhaps, later some great software will be produced despite the
klutz-ness, and the great software will be remembered instead.

Also, not being able to alter history may cultivate 'getting it right
the first time'.

OTOH, I like the idea that 'what I do in the privacy of my own repo is
my own business'. If the work hasn't been published, it seems that there
is little harm in undo-ing and redo-ing some work.

Writers work this way: They complete a draft, save it, and they may
proofread and re-save it several more times before sending it to a
publisher or editor, who is only aware of the most recent, best, copy.

While I'm not proposing a specific solution, I agree that the ability of
darcs to revise local changes before publishing is a valuable tool.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/