[darcs-users] A proposal: patch incoherence

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Mon Nov 22 12:54:51 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 07:54:15PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> Suppose I've got a bug fix in my stable tree that doesn't apply to my
> head tree; the patch that fixes the bug in the head tree is marked as
> incoherent with the stable bug fix.  When I pull stable bug fixes into
> head, I want the head patch to remain and the stable bug fix to be
> ignored no matter how they are dated.
>
> (I've got this very issue right now with the Polipo repositories, and
> I have to manually exclude a bunch of patches whenever I merge stable
> into head.)

I think this is an issue that is perhaps better dealt with via "ignore"
prefs.  This is an old idea (somewhere in the list archives, perhaps from
before you joined us), which was a good one, but never got implemented.
The idea was to add in _darcs/prefs a list of patches to ignore.  These
patches won't ever be pushed, pulled or sent.  The patch selection
interface would then have an 'i' option, which would say 'no' to the patch
and also add it to the ignore file.

In theory we could have separate files for patches to ignore on push, to
ignore on pull, etc, but I think only one is really needed, and it'd be
simplest to have just one.  We _could_ also add setpref capability to set
this file like the boring file can be set, but I think that the ignore
options will probably almost always be specific to a given instance of a
repository.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net