[darcs-users] unrecord doesn't remove adds?

Andrew Pimlott andrew at pimlott.net
Mon Nov 22 20:18:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 12:58:04PM +0100, Ketil Malde wrote:
> Just a quick observation of strange(?) behaviour -- unrecording keeps
> wanting to add files.  Not sure it is a problem, or that I understand
> things correctly, it just seems unexpected.
>
> <transcript>
>
> sefirot:~/work/sammendrag % darcs unrecord
>
> Mon Nov 22 09:34:20 CET 2004  ketil at ii.uib.no
>   * added cls file (testing)
> Shall I unrecord this patch? [yNvq?] y
> Finished unrecording.
>
> sefirot:~/work/sammendrag % darcs what -s
> M ./main.tex -1 +1
> A ./mybook.cls
> M ./preface.tex -1 +1
> A ./test.ignore
>
> </transcript>

I think you're just misunderstanding unrecord.  The idea is that after
you unrecord, all your changes are still in the working tree, so that if
you record again you'll get effectively the same patch.  Putting file
adds from the record into the "pending" patch is part of making this
work.  (I got confused by this once, too, because I used record
--look-for-adds, and therefore I didn't think of the adds as having been
present before the record.  Maybe this is what happened to you.  I'm not
sure how to make that intuitive.)

Can you think of an explanation the documentation that would have made
this clearer?  Maybe file adds should be mentioned as example of how
unrecords.

Andrew