[darcs-users] Mirroring a CVS repository (one-way, but not one-time)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Tue Nov 23 22:37:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I need to keep track of a project which uses CVS. I need a one-way
> synchronization (from the CVS repository to my Darcs repository, no
> need to push the changes back to CVS) but not a one-time
> synchronization, as provided by cvs2darcs, because the CVS repository
> is active and I will need to update from it.

As it happens, one of the scripts that makes up cvs2darcs does support
this, though the cvs2darcs frontend doesn't.

> I noticed:
>
> http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2003/000453.html
>
> which says:
>
> >I've got a 90 line perl script that creates a darcs mirror of a CVS
> >project, using a combination of cvsps to get the patchset information
> >and cvs to get the actual data.
>
> But I do not find that magical script, which seems to be exactly what
> I need.

This script ended up as cvs_convert.pl in the cvs2darcs distribution.

Use cvs2darcs itself to do the first conversion; this should take care of
things like branches for you. After that, run cvs_convert.pl to keep it up
to date. You will need to have a CVS checkout somewhere for
cvs_convert.pl, but using the -p option to cvs2darcs to make the darcs
repo also be a CVS checkout seems to work ok.

Cheers,

Ganesh