[darcs-users] Re: Small suggestion: lock/unlock and minor idiot-proofing

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Nov 24 12:36:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 05:39:40PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> There is also a similiar idea on the table, which is to support:
>
> darcs init --public
> and
> darcs init --private
>
> Flags like this would permanently disable some commands on the repo.
> For example, you may never want people to pull from your private repo.
>
> I believe there is already some infrastructure for both your suggestion
> and this on in the form a "--disable" flag that is already present for
> all commands.

Indeed, I'm still keen on this idea, and still hoping someone else will
implement it! :) It wouldn't be hard for even a moderately inexperienced
haskeller.

Basically all that needs to be done is to add to
RepoPrefs::write_default_prefs a [DarcsFlag] argument, and use its contents
(modifying DarcsArguments and DarcsFlags and Init) to decide how to
initialize _darcs/prefs/defaults.

> So, it should be fairly trivial to write a an external "darcs_lock"
> script, for those who like your idea (in the even it's not integrated).

The catch is that none of these --disable flags can keep another repository
from pulling from you.  We can disable push and send this way, but not the
pull or get (which would be run elsewhere).
http://www.darcs.net