[darcs-users] Re: from --partial to --complete?

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Wed Nov 24 12:41:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:59:38PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:
> >There is a question at to how to do this right.  It would potentially be
> >nice to make the --partial repository upgrade itself when you perform a
> >command that requires the older patches.  On the other hand, that could be
> >bad in that it could lead to unpredictable costs.  e.g. darcs changes foo
> >could require that you download the entire repository, which may not be
> >what you want.
>
> For me having something like darcs pull --complete would be enough :) The
> two situations I found a need for it, was when I checked out a repo (one is
> darcs itself) over a slow connection just to test it, and then kept pulling
> updates. Later being interested in the sources not just in testing I
> thought it would be nice to be able to upgrade the same repo. Again for
> fast connections this is not much of an issue.

Right, I'm spoiled by my fast connections both at home and at work.

A workaround that wouldn't involve extra downloading would be to run a

darcs get --tag TAGNAME

where TAGNAME is the tag that was checkpointed which you got --partial.
You should be aware that TAGNAME here is a regexp, so you have to make sure
that it doesn't end up getting a more recent tag that also matches (perhaps
by prepending ^ and postpending $, e.g. '^1.0.0$'.

Then you could pull from your existing partial repo into the newly gotten
old repo.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net