[darcs-users] Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs

Kenneth Knowles kknowles at soe.ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 24 19:34:21 UTC 2004

Hi there,

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:06:26AM -0400, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> (2.a) every single contributor to the shared source must use darcs,

Or use "diff", and send conventional patches to darcs-using developers.

> if any contributor does not use darcs then all contributors who do use
> darcs have to agree on a single, centralized, manual mechanism of
> integrating the non-darcs-user's patches,

Or any contributor, upon receiving a conventional patch, can apply it to their
personal repo and record, and anyone else can pick that patch up whenever they
want.

> (2.b) even if two different contributors or groups of contributors are
> using darcs -- for example if all contributors to GNU Emacs and all
> contributors to XEmacs both decide to adopt darcs today -- they still
> have to manually reconstruct the entire history of any patches that
> they want to share.

I haven't really followed cvs2darcs, but I assume they are doing their best to
correlate checkins into changesets.  However, short of reading the minds of the
developers, I can't see that there is enough information to do this ideally.  I
certainly don't see this as a limitation of darcs' scalability; synthesization
of changesets from file versioning histories is a different problem from the one
darcs addresses.

Kenn