[darcs-users] Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Wed Nov 24 19:49:44 UTC 2004

On 2004, Nov 24, at 15:34, Kenneth Knowles wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:06:26AM -0400, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>> (2.a) every single contributor to the shared source must use darcs,
>
> Or use "diff", and send conventional patches to darcs-using developers.

No, that's what I thought at first.  But unless you do the other part
of my sentence which is ellided above -- organize a central single
person to be the patch-accepter and have that personally manually
inspect and de-duplicate patches before allowing them into darcsword --
then you will eventually get two copies or two variants of a patch
imported from outside-darcs-world to inside-darcs-world.  Inside
darcsworld, those two patches are like matter and antimatter (hello,
physics analogies!) -- as soon as they both meet in the same repo then
that repo will become locked in its O(N^2) merging algorithm until
someone manually picks it apart and deletes one of the two patches.

This is something that I have been forced to spend my time on almost
every week for the past few months, so it isn't just hypothetical.  Now
that I've understood it, I can work around it, but the work-around is
centralization of the interface between darcsworld and non-darcsworld.

>> if any contributor does not use darcs then all contributors who do use
>> darcs have to agree on a single, centralized, manual mechanism of
>> integrating the non-darcs-user's patches,
>
> Or any contributor, upon receiving a conventional patch, can apply it
> to their
> personal repo and record, and anyone else can pick that patch up
> whenever they
> want.

Any contributor can do it, but if more than one contributor does it
then you have the matter/antimatter problem.

Regards,

Zooko