[darcs-users] collaborating with non-darcs users (was: Re: Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs)

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Wed Nov 24 21:48:24 UTC 2004

On 2004-11-24, Zooko O'Whielacronx <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> (2.a) every single contributor to the shared source must use darcs, or
> if any contributor does not use darcs then all contributors who do use
> darcs have to agree on a single, centralized, manual mechanism of
> integrating the non-darcs-user's patches,

Isn't this analogous to what might happen with CVS? Consider:

You have an 'inner circle' that all have CVS commit access.

As an outsider, you can submit a patch to anyone of them, and they can
manually apply it and share it with the other CVS users. If you submit
the patch to more then one CVS committer and they both try to commit it,
it could cause a problem. (right).

The difference seems to be that darcs has an expensive way to resolve
conflicts now.

However, I don't think it's particular unreasonable that only one darcs
user apply a patch from an outsider.

It would still be nice to make conflict resolution less expensive, of
course.

    Mark