[darcs-users] Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Thu Nov 25 05:02:53 UTC 2004

"Zooko O'Whielacronx" <zooko at zooko.com> writes:

> On 2004, Nov 24, at 15:34, Kenneth Knowles wrote:

>> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:06:26AM -0400, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
>>> (2.a) every single contributor to the shared source must use darcs,

>> Or use "diff", and send conventional patches to darcs-using developers.

I collaborate on a project with somebody who doesn't use darcs.  I've
simply set up a separate repository (with him in the author file), and
manually integrate his patches.

> No, that's what I thought at first.  But unless you do the other
> part of my sentence which is ellided above -- organize a central
> single person to be the patch-accepter and have that personally
> manually inspect and de-duplicate patches before allowing them into
> darcsword --

Isn't another alternative to assign each non-darcs-using collaborator
to a darcs-using "godfathers", responsible for integrating changes for
him?  This way, each collaborator has a single path into darcs, but
not necessarily the same path.

> then you will eventually get two copies or two variants of a patch
> imported from outside-darcs-world to inside-darcs-world.

If your project is large and loose enough, different contributors will
occasionally solve the same problem in the same way.  Darcs will just
have to learn to cope, I think.

-kzm