[darcs-users] Re: execute permission for scripts

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Nov 25 11:52:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 05:21:03PM +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
> Probably nobody implemented it yet. :-)

Right, versioning execute permission is definitely on the long-term TODO
list, and if someone other than myself worked on it, it'd be on the
shorter-term TODO list.

> Following darcs manual, it would be great to enhance patch set of
> addtional `file permission' patch type, but it will probably require some
> research on how to represent cross-platform permission changes in the
> best way.

Yes, this is how it'll be done.  Except that I firmly feel that there is
only one permission bit that should be versioned, and that is the execute
bit.  The meanings of the other permissions are dependent on what computer
the file is on, and thus shouldn't be versioned.

I presume that under windows execute permissions would just be ignored,
which would be fine.  The only catch is that running optimize --checkpoint
under windows would require keeping track of the permissions manually.
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net