[darcs-users] Re: Wishlist: execute permissions

Manfred Lotz manfred.lotz at web.de
Thu Nov 25 14:37:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 04:56:25 -0500, Michael Conrad wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 07:26:03AM +0100, Manfred Lotz wrote:
>> After reading many of the suggestions made in this list I come to the
>> conclusion that it is best to have an execute file analogous to boring
>> which resides in _darcs/prefs. ...
>
> As an alternative (since I can think of lots of  situations where the
> exec bit is unrelated to the file name) check out my idea for file
> metadata.  I posted it on the wishlist:
> http://bugs.darcs.net//Ticket/Display.html?id=96

I like the idea of having versioned meta data very much. However, it is
something which has to be carefully designed. In my opinion it is not
strictly necessary to manage the execute bit via meta data. But there are
definitely areas where meta data is a big improvement. Perhaps then meta
data is the right place to introduce unixperm in general as you have
pointed out.

--
Manfred