[darcs-users] Wishlist: execute permissions

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Nov 26 12:26:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 09:19:09AM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> I do not really like the idea of distinguishing by name. Python files,
> for example, always have the ending ".py", but only some of them should
> be executable as a script. Also, by convention, many sh-script files do
> not have the ending ".sh"
>
> The first line of a script: "#!..." is much more meaningful.

Hmmm.  Adding a flag to tell darcs to make files beginning with #!
executable sounds like a viable possibility.  It wouldn't muck up the
repositories (as a patch type would), and we could always remove it later
if we add support for versioning the execute bit.  Although executable
scripts don't *need* to begin with #!, it's almost always a good idea, and
almost never hurts.  I think this may be a case where the less general
solution (hardcoding a flag to look for #!) may be cleaner and easier on
users, and probably will serve almost everyone's needs.

--make-poundbang-scripts-executable, perhaps?

Perhaps with a note that this feature is a hack, and may be removed later,
so people won't cry if it *is* removed?
--
David Roundy
http://www.darcs.net