[darcs-users] Re: traditional patch output?

Samuel Tardieu sam at rfc1149.net
Fri Nov 26 14:24:46 UTC 2004

>> The darcs patch format doesn't provide everything you need; it has
>> first to build two versions that it can diff.  Look at: darcs diff
>> -u -p patchregexp

Jani> thanks!  I wonder how I overlooked the diff command. Too
Jani> obviously named I guess :) It looks like it does what I
Jani> want. What do you mean by it doesn't provide everything?

I was answering your very question: "does darcs patch format provide
anything you need to build a patch-appliable changeset"? The answer
is "no, it doesn't, but darcs has all the necessary information to
build something that can be applied with patch."

On the one hand, the darcs patch format contains exact patching
information, which makes sense only when the version to patch is
available. On the other hand, Arch changesets or patch information
contains context information, which is not present in the darcs patch;
this context allows fuzzy patching. Schematically, the "darcs diff"
command builds the version to start from, applies the patch and diffs
the two version (unpatched and patched).

Is that clearer?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam at rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/sam