[darcs-users] Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs

Marnix Klooster mklooster at baan.nl
Fri Nov 26 16:33:18 UTC 2004

Andrew Pimlott [mailto:andrew at pimlott.net] wrote on Friday, November 26,
2004 15:23:
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 10:12:01AM -0400, Zooko O'Whielacronx wrote:
> > On 2004, Nov 25, at 23:31, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
> >
> > >The repo has to be in some state after the conflict, and what other
> > >state makes sense?
> >
> > I think the current working version must always be equal to the
> > combination of all patches, followed by any unrecorded changes.
>
> But what is the combination of two patches that both add (and probably
> add different contents to) the same file?  The natural (if unintuitive)
> answer is that neither version of the file exists.

Then your nature (if not intuition) differs from mine :-)

The natural answer is that both versions of the file exist.  Since that
situation cannot be represented as a directory tree, I would expect
'conflict markers' in the file names: something like foo.CONFLICT.1 and
foo.CONFLICT.2.

Groetjes,
 <><
Marnix