[darcs-users] CVS tracking howto?

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Sat Nov 27 08:46:59 UTC 2004

    Tim> Hi, I've looked at the wiki, but it does not answer my
    Tim> question, so i thought i'd ask here.

    Tim> What i want to be able to do is to track a CVS tree, keeping
    Tim> my patches allongside a current. development tree.  Is this
    Tim> possible? is there a best practice for it?

I dunno if it's the best practice, but it's surely working great for
me: I use my `tailor.py script`_, which lets me track almost every
`third parties software`_ I use and customize to my needs. It's able to
fetch the changesets from either SVN or CVS repos and replaying them
under DARCS.

To use it, you start by "bootstrapping" a new repos checking out a
particular revision (maybe HEAD) from the upstream repository. In the
simplest case, all you need is something in the line:

$ tailor.py -b -R=upstream.org/repos -mProduct -rSomeBranch -scvs destdir

that will bootstrap a new darcs repo extracting the HEAD of
"SomeBranch" from a CVS repos located by the "url" given with the -R
option.

But tailor is also able to start from an arbitrary checked out
tree. For example, these are the commands I used to test a particular
case against the Zope CVS repository:

$ cd /tmp
$ mkdir zope
$ cd zope
$ cvs -q -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository checkout \
         -D"2004-08-07 13:44:44" -rZope-2_7-branch Zope
$ cd ..
$ tailor.py -b -v -R:pserver:anonymous at cvs.zope.org:/cvs-repository \
         -mZope -rZope-2_7-branch --source-kind=cvs zope

In this case, the new DARCS repo in /tmp/zope contains the sources of
Zope as of 2004-08-07.

In any case, at any time you can do

$ tailor.py /tmp/zope

and the script will try to bring your repos up-to-date with the
upstream sources, trasmigrating whatever changes happened there.

I hope this is clear enough, but do not hesitate to ask anything else
you need.

ciao, lele.

.. _tailor.py script: http://nautilus.homeip.net/~lele/projects/cvsync/
.. _third parties software: http://nautilus.homeip.net/~lele/darcs/3rd/taw/
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.