[darcs-users] On merging

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Sat Nov 27 14:26:30 UTC 2004

(trying to answer portions of your email in orders that make sense, where
you responded to yourself...)

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 07:57:38AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> >I'm trying to rewrite the patch theory in a way that I understand; and
> >I'm stuck on the merge part again. :-/
>
> Aha! How about this:
>
> To me, it seems obvious that a "patch" is the difference between two
> repositories. That is, there's a unique patch P, changes repository R
> into R' for any repositories R and R'. (Now, you have to count the
> "changelog" as part of the repository, but that seems fair enough)

No, this is definitely *not* the case with darcs.  (Although it is how arch
works...)  There most certainly can be any number of changes that would go
between two identical repositories.  The replace patch is the obvious
instance, since any replace patch on any given file can be replaced by a
number of hunk patches.  Also mv patches violate this, unless you add to
your definition of "different" repositories a notion of file identity.
http://www.darcs.net