[darcs-users] Colin Walters blogs on Arch changesets vs Darcs

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Nov 27 16:33:26 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:03:46PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>>So in spite of having the _exact same_ inventory in the new repository
>>as in the original one, we've got completely different contents.
> The key thing here is that it's only the working directories that differ.
> You can make them identical by running revert and resolve.

Nope -- I've attached a script for duplicating the issue. Run it in a
scratch directory and it'll do all the work. ./x is the initial
repository, ./a and ./b are the conflicting patches, ./c is the markers
for good measure, ./y is a pull from ./x in reverse order to demonstrate
commuting works fine; ./z is a pull from ./a, ./b, ./c, ./x in that
order. ./z is where the conflicts show up. revert/resolve don't do
anything useful in this case.

>>So some information got
>>lost there in the unmerge step. It doesn't get lost when you merely
>>commute the patches, though, so putting in dependencies would be
>>overkill. On the other hand, I just don't see anywhere the missing
>>information can go, that it won't just continue getting lost...
> I'm a little unclear, here, as to what information was getting lost...

./x has the hunks being appled at lines 1, 2, and {1,3,5} respectively;
./a, ./b and ./c have them applied at lines 1, 1, and {1,2,3}. ./y has
them hunks being applied at, umm, 2, 3, and {1,2,3}.

Cheers,
aj