[darcs-users] On merging

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Sat Nov 27 16:49:28 UTC 2004

David Roundy wrote:
> I think the real solution to the merge conflict issue is two-fold.  We need
> to keep track of merge conflicts in some more coherent manner than we
> currently do, so that you don't see conflicts with conflict markers.  This
> means maintaining something like pending which indicates which conflicts
> are currently marked.  Then we need to make the UI display and handle
> conflicts more nicely.  And of course, improving the conflict marking to
> include dealing with problems such as the commonly-quoted "two files with
> the same name" problem.

So one thing that seems sensible to me is to have the resolution to the
"two files with the same name" issue be "just use <foo's> file". But
afaics that doesn't let you pull patches to that file from foo without
continuing to get conflicts.

Shouldn't Haskell let you match "(addfile x | move .* x) ... (rmfile x |
mv x .*)" pairs fairly efficiently (O(N^2) time at worst, but it should
by dynamically programmable to be linear), and then let you just commute
straight past them? Unfortunately (addfile x/y; move a/b/c x) pairs seem
like they can confuse the situation, but possibly not irrevocably.

Cheers,
aj